Ten years of musical highs will come to an end this summer as we bid farewell to our Director of Music, David Poulter. David will be moving to Suffolk to pursue freelance opportunities as his partner, Flora, takes up a veterinary post.
David joined us as Director of Music in January 2008, during the City’s year as Capital of Culture. During his time with us, he’s had many highlights.
- Carried out tours with the choir to France, Poland, Cologne, Estonia, New York and Washington.
- Cultivated Ecumenical relationships with our friends at the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King through joint concerts (a particular highlight being an annual performance of Messiah) and services.
- Developed the Girls’ Choir; and built on the outstanding reputation of the boy choristers and lay clerks
- Encouraged the Music Department’s programme of outreach into the community through the Schools’ Singing Programme, the Junior Choir and the Youth Choir – all led by his colleague, Stephen Mannings.
- Held regular BBC and TV broadcasts.
- Made some superb CD recordings with Priory Records.
A number of CD recordings David has made are listed below.
- Choral Evensong from Liverpool.
- The Psalms of David.
- Music for Men’s voices from Liverpool.
- Great Anthems from Liverpool.
- Great Hymns from Liverpool.
- Great European Organs No. 100 – David Poulter at Liverpool Cathedral.
David said "It has been an enormous privilege to be part of a talented team in this famous and iconic building. I am sad to be closing the door on my cathedral career; I shall miss the sound of our amazing cathedral choir soaring in this vast space, to the accompaniment of one of the very finest organs, and organists, in the land."
Canon Myles Davies, the Canon Precentor and Vice Dean of the Cathedral said "David Poulter has given almost ten years of imaginative and loyal service to Liverpool Cathedral as Director of Music. His direction of the Cathedral Choir has been widely admired, and his leadership has inspired our choristers and lay clerks for the last decade. The Cathedral Chapter join me in wishing David, Flora and Beatrix every blessing as they prepare to move to their new home, and we offer very grateful thanks for David’s vibrant contribution to the life and worship of the Cathedral, both as a colleague and a friend.”
David previously served as Organist and Director of Music at Chester Cathedral, Director of Music at Coventry Cathedral, Assistant Organist at Rochester Cathedral and a Foundation Scholar at The Royal College of Music.
David will be moving to Suffolk with his family where his partner, Flora, takes up a veterinary post at Newmarket Equine Hospital. He is looking forward to spending more time with his family and developing a freelance musical career in the surrounding areas of Cambridge, Ely and Bury St Edmunds.