Donations and Bequests to The Friends
Over the years many people have made gifts to the Friends or remembered the Friends in their will and this has been gratefully appreciated. If you would like to leave a bequest to The Friends of Liverpool Cathedral, you should seek professional advice. The following form of bequest is suggested:
"I bequeath to the Charity known as “Friends of Liverpool Cathedral” a sum of £…......... (enter amount in numbers) ….... (then enter amount in words) pounds (free of Inheritance Tax) and I declare that the receipt of the Secretary for the time being of the said Charity shall be good and sufficient discharge for the same - (Charity No 1122672)".
The association was founded in May 1925 by Sir Frederick Radcliffe and was known as ‘The Builders’. Its purpose was to make it possible for ordinary people to contribute to the building of Liverpool Cathedral, the first part of which had been consecrated in 1924. As the builders progressed the association’s role changed and in 1960 the name changed to ‘Friends and Builders’. On completion of the building the name was changed yet again and in 1979 became known as ‘The Friends of Liverpool Cathedral’.
The Friends aims and objectives
- To assist the Chapter to fulfil its duty of worship and contribute to the repair, maintenance, improvement of, and additions to the fabric, furnishings and vestments.
- To promote and stimulate public interest in the charitable work and life of the Cathedral.
- To promote and support any charitable activities calculated to preserve and beautify the Cathedral, its history and its music.
Who are we?
The Friends are admirers of the building, its history and its community. The Friends are part of the Cathedral and work together to preserve it forever, contributing financially – and directly – to many individual and vital projects.
Recent projects over the last 2 years have included:
2012 - 2013
- Helping to fund the refurbishment of the kitchen used by the Choir.
- The provision of a loop system in the Well/Nave
- The Nickson Room : refurbishments and the installation of the projector and screen which will enhance the visitors’ experience of the Elizabeth Hoare Embroidery Gallery.
- Cathedral Sound system: the purchase of an iPad making it easier for the Verger to control the volume and clarity wherever those speaking are positioned in the building.
- Providing a grant towards the staging of the Liverpool Cathedral Passion Plays
Becoming a Friend is not only about conserving a beautiful building, it's about establishing a community, forming lasting relationships and enjoying days out and interesting events.
If you would like to become a member of the Friends, or to buy a subscription for someone else, please download and fill in the Application & Subscription Form. here or from the right hand column.
For more information please contact:
The Hon. Membership Secretary
The Friends of Liverpool Cathedral
St James’ Mount
Tel: 0151 709 6271