"1999, into the new millennium, and beyond"
Dean Rupert Hoare, installed in 1999, oversaw the introduction of the new Constitution and Statutes as required by the Cathedrals Measure 1999. The Chapter was clear that charges to enter the Cathedral should not be introduced for visitors, and sought to make the building more accessible to a wide variety of worshippers, the Diocese, other organizations, visitors and tourists. The Cathedral's Centenary was celebrated in 2004 and the first two phases of the new Visitor Centre opened in December 2006 and early 2007. The final phase, involving upgrading the existing restaurant area was completed in early 2008. The Cathedral today is not only pivotal to the spiritual and worship life of the city, but also ranks high in the North West Tourist attraction tables and in 2009, against formidable competition, won the accolade of 'Best Large Visitor Attraction' at the North West's Annual Tourism Awards hosted by The Mersey Partnership.
80s & 90s “a city site of world importance”
Under the leadership of Derrick Walters, the fourth Dean of Liverpool, the area in front of the Cathedral was transformed from urban dereliction into a setting appropriate to a great Cathedral and in 1991 the Queen formally opened 'Queen’s Walk', a beautiful, very fitting, hard-lanscaped area serving as the main thoroughfare to the then main entrance located on the River side of the building.
1978 – “one of the great buildings of the world”
On 25th October 1978, in the presence of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, there was a great service of thanksgiving to mark the completion of the Cathedral, “a triumphant proclamation of hope”
1961 – The Nave Bridge
On 22nd April 1961, the newly completed Bridge and the first bay of the Nave were handed over to the Dean & Chapter. Sadly, with his death in 1960, the architect had not lived long enough to enjoy the new vistas through his Cathedral.
1942 – Completion of the Tower “All cathedrals should be specially conspicuous by tower and spire”
In bitterly cold weather on 20th February 1942, Sir Giles Scott placed the final stone on the final 'finial' at the top of the tower, three hundred and thirty one feet one and half inches (101 metres) above the Cathedral floor.
1941 – “Keep going whatever you do”
'Solemn Entrance in Time of War' was the name of the first service to take place in the vast Central Space below the still incomplete Tower. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, visited the Cathedral during the blitz and gave encouragement to the Cathedral community to keep building.
1931 – foundation of the Dean & Chapter “The greatest of modern Cathedrals is a church of Resurrection”
In October 1931, Frederick William Dwelly was appointed as the first Dean of Liverpool, a position he was to hold until his retirement in 1955.
1924 – consecration of the Cathedral Church of Christ in Liverpool
Despite the serious delays caused by the First World War, the High Altar, Chancel and Eastern Transepts were completed and, in the presence of King George V and Queen Mary, the Cathedral was consecrated. Albert Augustus David had succeeded Bishop Chavasse in 1923, and Frederick William Dwelly, future first Dean of Liverpool, devised and organised the service.
1910 – completion of the Lady Chapel
On Saint Peter’s Day, 29th June 1910, the Lady Chapel, the first part of the Cathedral to be completed, was dedicated by Bishop Chavasse and Cosmo Lang, Archbishop of York.
1904 – the laying of the Foundation Stone
On Tuesday 19th July 1904 the Foundation Stone was laid by King Edward VII at a great open-air service at the culmination of which the choir of a thousand voices sang Hallelujah Chorus from Handel’s Messiah.
1903 – “the best idea and the finest conception”
The design submitted by twenty-two year old Giles Gilbert Scott was chosen and young Scott and the more senior George Bodley were appointed joint architects.
1901 – “something to speak for God”
On Monday 17th June 1901, at a meeting in the Town Hall, the decision was taken to build a worthy Cathedral for the prosperous City of Liverpool.
1880 - “ugly & hideous”
John Charles Ryle was appointed the first Bishop of Liverpool and was installed in St Peter’s Church in Church Street in the town centre, the Pro-Cathedral, later described by the Rector of Liverpool as “ugly & hideous”