If you have a passion for organ music then Liverpool Cathedral presents a unique opportunity to fulfil your dream. Our Organ Experience offers a rare chance to learn about and actually play one of the finest organs in the world.
The experience includes:
- A tour of the Cathedral organ, including the pipes and blowing chamber with one of our resident organists,
- Playing time on the mighty Willis organ (bring your own recording equipment to keep a memento of the occasion)
- A souvenir presentation certificate, inscribed and signed
- A signed copy of the booklet ‘The Organs of Liverpool Cathedral’
- A signed DVD of Professor Ian Tracey demonstrating and playing the Cathedral organ.
The cost of this amazing experience is £500
(£300 of which will go towards the organ appeal)
To book this once in a lifetime experience call the Music Department on 0151 708 8471
How you can help
Alongside the Organ Experience, there are a range of other activities to get involved with to help our appeal. Please browse through the booklet below and check out the various ways you can help. To download and share this document, please click the link to the right.
To make a direct donation to the organ appeal, please visit our JustGiving page.
For updates on the organ appeal, recitals and events, follow us on twitter
Patrons of the Organ
Following the completion of the Cathedral in 1978, the Chapter were anxious to gather together Patrons who valued our magnificent Willis Organ and would support our recitals and musical events. In order to sustain our great musical tradition, we need your help.
The Organ has been in use since the Consecration in 1924. Between 1958 and 1960 it was completely overhauled and modernised, including the provision of a new all-electric action and a humidifying system. A further major programme of restoration took place during 1977 and 1978, dealing with widespread deterioration of the mechanism, pipe-work metal fatigue, rewiring, (using hundreds of miles of special cable) and a new wind system. The cost of this latter restoration was almost £100,000 and at today’s prices similar work would be in the region of £750,000.
Since 1980 the Organ has been in the very capable hands of David Wells Organ Builders, Liverpool and requires regular attention to keep it in good order. As large an instrument such as this, with over 10,000 pipes, needs a further £20,000 a year to cover tuning and ongoing maintenance. These costs cannot be met from present funds.
You can help . . .
- By giving regular support to our Recitals and Concerts.
- By enrolling as a Patron of the Organ.
- By sending a donation to help maintain the Organ.
The benefits of becoming a Patron . . .
- You will receive a membership card entitling you to free admission at each of the four Bank Holiday Recitals, and Anniversary Recital.
- On production of your membership card you will be allowed free parking for all Cathedral Recitals and Concerts.
- You will be placed on our mailing list to receive details of musical events.
- You will be invited to attend a special Gala recital, at reduced rate, preceded by an exclusive reception for Patrons of the Organ.
How do I join?
Download the membership form to the right of this page and send it to:
Patrons of the Organ
St. James' Mount