School tours can take place Monday – Friday between 10:15 am – 4:00 pm. We can vary the duration, start and finish times to suit your requirements. Our Education Department can be flexible so if you want something that is not listed here please get in touch.
We offer a general children's guided tour of the Cathedral or one more specifically focused to suit your requirements. For example, comparing the two Cathedral’s is a popular choice. We train our Cathedral Guides (many of whom are ex teachers) to work especially with children and all are experienced at meeting the needs of a school's curriculum. We pride ourselves on being teacher-led. Please ask for what you want; we will do our very best to meet your needs. The cost for this tour is £1.50 per child.
MINI VISITS FOR EARLY YEARS FOUNDATION STAGE & RECEPTION CLASSES
Before you bring a class of small children to visit the cathedral we will work with you to devise a programme of your choice based on using all five senses.For example, you might like to arrange for the children to look and wonder at the size of the arches and the height and decorations of the ceiling, or to see colours in the widows, to feel the shapes and texture of the stone and the wood in the columns and carvings, to sit in the choir stalls and hear choral singing, to smell incense, and to taste ‘special food’. Perhaps you might also like to light candles and include a moment of quiet and stillness.
We always give Special Schools a warm welcome to the Cathedral and are happy to adapt our programmes to suit varying needs. Contact the Education Officer to talk about how we can help.
KEY STAGE 1
Many of the workshops for KS2 can be adapted very successfully for KS1 children - please see below for more detail.
KS1 TRIPLES for 5-6 year olds
These are new, supported visits to the Cathedral focusing on any three parts / features of the Cathedral and they have been designed especially for younger children. Lasting approximately 30 - 40 minutes, one of our specially trained KS1 visits leaders will hopefully inspire and enthuse the children on topics you, the teacher, have chosen! The children will have a short talk (about 5 minutes) on each of the three topics and then sketch and describe them to take back to school. Please bring your own paper and pencils for this session.
Soft Toy ‘Safari’ – Children can explore the Cathedral for animals made out of stone, wood and glass. (Duration – 50 mins) £1.50 per child
KEY STAGE 2
For Key Stage 2 children who have not visited the cathedral before, the building might seem enormous and possibly intimidating. When you bring a class to visit us, whichever trail or workshop they are doing they will be warmly welcomed, and they will have time to look around at their surroundings, to notice the architecture and furnishings and to make observations and ask questions.
In addition to our annual programme of popular activites such as Cross Factor, WW1 Workshops and Advent Workshops we have a range of activities that your school can choose to do on a one off visit.
- 1) Stained Glass Window workshop – enables each pupil to design their own stained glass window. (Duration – 50 mins) Cost £1.50 per child.
- 2) Vestments – Pupils have a talk about the vestments of the Cathedral and then process in the Cathedral to the sound of the organ. (Duration – 50 mins) Cost £1.50 per child
- 3) Trip up the tower for year 6+ - Unforgettable views of the city and even Blackpool’s Big Dipper from the top of the Tower. (Duration at least 40 mins) Cost £3.50 per child
- 4) Baptism - Pupils will be shown a Baptism using a doll which they will name and choose Godparents (Duration - 45mins) Cost £1per child
- 5) Fantastic Faces - Rec - Yr 2 - A face hunt in the Cathedral followed by a workshop making a clay face (Duration - 1.5 hrs) Cost £2 per child
- 6) Icons - Pupils creat an icon having seen both tradional and modern icons. The aim is to enable pupils to undertsnad that icons have a hidden meaning which can prayer. (Duration - 50mins) Cost £1.50 per child.
- 6) Cruz the CaterpillarBased on the theme ‘Special to God’, Cruz the Caterpillar is an interactive prayer trail. Follow the footprints, collect stickers in a personal passport, hunt inside the treasure chest, write in green sand and make a butterfly. Find out why you are special to God. (Duration 1hr) Cost £2 per child
- 7) A Sense of Place (for SEN pupils) Ring a miniature bell, smell incense, taste a communion wafer, look for Derby Mouse, lie on the floor and look up at the ceiling… can be adapted to suit. (Duration 45 mins) Cost £1.50 per child
- 8) Signs and Symbols A reflective trail based on the religious symbolism and furnishings within the cathedral. (Duration 1hr) Cost £1.50 per child
- 9) Book Art Pupils create a book of their own containing fold-out stories, pop-up pictures, secret letters, maps hidden in pouches, flying creatures, hidden texts and anything else their imaginations can come up with. See creativityandbookarts.co.uk for more information. (Duration 2.5hrs) Cost £4 per child
- 10) Eucharist Pupils will be given the opportunity to think about what the Eucharist means, why it happens and the symbolism surrounding it. They will be able to view some of the artefacts used at the Cathedral.(Duration 45mins) Cost £1 per child
Schools will often choose to do this alongside a guided tour.
Guided Tours can be arranged for all ages and abilities. They can relate to most curriculum areas e.g. History, R.E., and Art. Teachers should specify the focus of their visit on the booking form. Guided tours last between 1 hour and 1 hour 15 minutes.