Liverpool Cathedral is more than an iconic building. It’s a vibrant, active place that the people of the city, regions and world encounter in many ways. Led by our Dean we have reflected on our mission and ministry. This led to us seeing the word Encounter become of increasing importance to us.
Encounter Liverpool Cathedral
Encounter is how a gala dinner relates to a school trip. Encounter is how a tourist visit relates to an awards ceremony. Encounter is how they all relate to our main purpose of prayer, worship and service. People encounter us in many ways. But in each way, we hope they encounter a warm welcome and sense of God. We believe you will encounter:
- Inspiring Christian worship
- A breathtaking experience
- A community committed to justice and mercy
- A safe, generous place in joy and sorrow
- A dynamic community of staff and volunteers
- A God who knows and loves you
Find out how it survived two World Wars, periods of recession and great hardship in this once famous and important port of Liverpool, to become a tribute to the dedication of a great many people and their skills.
As you share this amazing journey, it becomes evident just how important the Cathedral is to the heart and the life of this now internationally acclaimed city of Liverpool.
Some of our amazing statistics:
- Length: 188.7 m (619 ft)
- Area: 9,687.4 sq. m (104,275 sq. ft)
- Choir Vault: 35.3 m (116 ft)
- Nave Vault: 36.5 m (120 ft)
- Height of Tower: 100.8 m (331 ft)
- Under Tower Vault: 53.3 m (175 ft)
- Tower Arches: 32.6 m (107 ft)
- Bells: (height above ground) 67.0 m (219 ft)
- Bells: (weight) 31.5 tonnes (31 tons).