We have a regular series of lectures at Liverpool Cathedral including:
This year's lecture is brought to us by Chine Mcdonald, who will be speaking on her book, God Is Not A White Man: And Other Revelations.
The book explores urgent questions such as what does it mean when God is presented as male? and what does it mean when, from our internal assumptions to our shared cultural imaginings, God is presented as white? in a searing look at her experience of being a Black woman in the white-majority space that is the UK church - a church that is being abandoned by Black women no longer able to grin and bear its casual racism, colonialist narratives and lack of urgency on issues of racial justice.
Book your place via Eventbrite here
Inspired by the same scripture that led to the establishment of our charity Micah Liverpool, our annual lecture always explores matters relating to social justice. Previous speakers include Bishop Steven Croft, Bishop David Walker, Bishop Pete Wilcox, Bishop Paul Bayes, Canon Lucy Winkett and Ann Morisy and Angus Richie.
Watch the 2020 Micah Lecture
We were delighted to welcome Dr Ruth Valerio to deliver last year's Micah lecture on zoom. You can watch the video here:
Exploring the relationship between faith and science this annual series of lecturers brings a range of practitioners from scientific and medical backgrounds. This year, we once again have a distinguished line-up of contributors, and all lectures will be given online. The series will be offered on Tuesday evenings, starting on 27th April. The subjects and lecturers are as follows:
- Tues 27th Apr 2021
- “Climate Change: Science and Faith Responses”
- Prof Ric Williams, Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor and Chair in Ocean Sciences, University of Liverpool and Liz Atherton, Arts Coordinator for Interfaith and Environmental Development, Faiths4Change
- Tues 4th May 2021
- “The Science of Cathedral Studies”
- The Revd Canon Prof Leslie Francis; Canon Theologian, Liverpool Cathedral. Professor of Religions and Psychology, University of Warwick
- Tues 11th May 2021
- “Thoughts from the sharp end - surgery, science and faith”
- The Revd Alex Baker; Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, ; Assistant Priest, Parish of St Cuthbert and St Thomas, Halsall, Lydiate and Downholland, Liverpool
- Tues 18th May 2021
- “Miles to go before I sleep: how my cancer became a source of joy”
- Dr Claire Foster-Gilbert; Director, Westminster Abbey Institute, London
- Montgomery Trust
- Tues 25th May 2021 – no lecture
- Tues 1st Jun 2021
- “God and a world of suffering, injustice and pain - how might that work?”
- The Revd Canon Dr Mike Kirby, Canon Scientist, Liverpool Cathedral; Radiotherapy Physics Lecturer, University of Liverpool.