Visiting Liverpool Cathedral from Monday, 6th January 2020 until Friday, 31st January 2020
When you visit Liverpool Cathedral, you may notice our appearance is looking a little different. Before Christmas, we installed hoardings in the Well area rand work has started to upgrade our underfloor heating during the first part of 2020.
We’re investing around £175,000 to upgrade our underfloor heating in the Well area. Originally installed in the 1950s and 60s, the system is no longer working properly.
This highly specialist work is essential to future-proof our heating system for years to come and ensure the Cathedral floor looks like it’s never been touched.
Improving the underfloor hearing will also help us reduce our impact on the environment and the money we spend on heating.
Most of the work will be carried out during the night, limiting the impact on your visit so you can still enjoy your encounter at Liverpool Cathedral
Opening Hours (from 6th January until 31st January 2020)
- Weekdays -the Cathedral will be open from 8 am to 5 pm (not our usual 6 pm)
- Saturdays - open from 8 am to 6 pm (our usual opening times)
- Saturdays - open from 8 am to 6 pm (our usual opening times).
Visitor Entrance and Exit Arrangements
You will come into and go out of the Cathedral through the Sir Giles Gilbert Scott Suite entrance (Queen’s Walk/car park side). We will have signage to direct you. Don’t worry, there’ll be staff and volunteers on hand to help you find your way in and out of the Cathedral.
- Monday to Friday - Said Evening Prayer at 5 pm in the Presentation Chapel will replace our usual Choral Evensong.
- Saturdays - Choral Evensong at 3 pm (same as our usual worship pattern)
- Sundays - Choral Evensong at 3 pm (same as our usual worship pattern)
- All our other worship services remain the same. You can find out more by clicking this link.
All other parts of the Cathedral are not affected by the work and are open.
On Saturday, 1st February 2020 the Cathedral will return to its usual visiting and worship patterns. Work in the Well will still continue.
The work in the Well is part of our ongoing investment in the Cathedral building which has made possible by the generous support for our £24m for 2024 campaign. We aim to raise this money so we are able to preserve Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s architectural masterpiece and keep it free to enter. Over the last few years, we have made significant improvements to our roof thanks to the WW1 Centenary Fund.
General information for your visit to us
Occasionally the Cathedral, or parts of it, may need to close or only offer restricted access for a service, special event or day-to-day maintenance. We try to minimise these periods as much as we can, as we know that people travel long distances to visit us.
Please remember to check for last-minute changes prior to your visit as some events, such as funerals, are only arranged at short notice.
Check our Facebook page or Twitter.
† Please note The Lady Chapel is not available to visitors on a Sunday due to our regular worship services.
Journey up the impressive Liverpool Cathedral Tower and experience breathtaking panoramic rooftop views of Liverpool and beyond. Click here to find out more.
Open seven days a week
- Monday to Friday from 10 am until 5 pm*
- Saturday from 9 am until 5 pm*
- Sunday from 12 noon until 4 pm*
Tower Experience Ticket
You can buy your tickets from the Cathedral Shop or in advance online here. *Last ticket purchase for the Tower 30 mins before closing.
- Standard £5.50
- Concessions £4.50
- Family (two adults and up to three children) £15
Want something to remember your visit by? Pick up a souvenir or a book from our award-winning shop. Feeling thirsty or a bit peckish? Enjoy refreshments in our café and restaurant.
Our shop is full of gifts, cards and books. You can also shop online Check out our online shop
- Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm
- Sundays from 12 pm to 4 pm
A lighter bite café with a great view plus Wi-Fi access. Find out more, by clicking here
- Monday to Friday 9:15 am to 4:30 pm
- Saturdays 9:15 am to 2:30 pm
- Closed Sundays
Locally sourced, freshly prepared food, from our extensive menu. Find out more by clicking this link.
- Monday to Friday from 11:45 am to 3 pm
- Saturdays from 11:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Sundays: lunch served from 12 noon to 4 pm.
From 4 pm to 5 pm serving cake and drinks.